Tips for SAFE and HAPPY HOLIDAYS
The HOLIDAY SEASON is officially upon us! As we kick off "the most wonderful time of the year,"
Legacy at Meridian would like to share the following list of personal and home safety tips:
GENERAL TIPS FOR THE HOME
· Secure sliding glass doors with locks or a rigid wooden dowel wedged in track.
· Do not hide house keys in mailboxes, planters or under doormats.
· Keep emergency phone numbers handy and by the phone at all times.
· Get to know your neighbors and look out for them.
· Keep common areas neat and clean.
· Lock your doors when you are away and when you are at home.
· Keep blinds, shades or drapes closed at night.
· Notify the management office of any exterior lights out.
· In addition to rental insurance, mark or engrave valuable possessions.
· If you are worried about lost keys, ask management to change your locks. In accordance with your lease, you will need to pay for this service in advance.
· Leave your outside lights on at night as a courtesy to your neighbors.
· Make sure all windows are locked.
· Lock your car doors and keep valuables out of sight.
· DON’T FORGET TO SET YOUR ALARM.
· Carry your purse close to your body. Carry your wallet inside your coat rather than in a rear trouser pocket.
· Do not flaunt expensive jewelry or flash cash.
· Do not overburden yourself with large packages or groceries that make it hard to react.
THE 3 BASIC RULES
· Do stay alert. Keep your mind on your surroundings, who’s in front of you and who’s behind you. Don’t get distracted.
· Do walk purposefully, stand tall and make quick eye contact with people around you.
· Do trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a situation, leave.
IF YOU ARE TRAVELING
· Get an automatic timer for your lights.
· Ask a neighbor to watch your home (or your friendly office staff).
· Do not forget to have mail and newspaper delivery stopped. If it piles up, it’s a sure sign that you’re away.
WHEN YOU ARE OUT FOR THE EVENING
· Turn on lights and a radio so it looks like someone is home.
· Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave, even if it is just for a few minutes.
· Do not display gifts where they can be seen from outside.
IF YOU ARE SHOPPING
· Stay alert and be aware of what is going on around you.
· Park in a well-lighted space, and be sure to lock the car, close the windows, and hide shopping bags and gifts in the trunk.
· Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; pay with a check or credit card whenever possible.
· Deter pickpockets and purse-snatchers. Do not overburden yourself with packages. Be extra careful with purses and wallets.
· Shopping with kids? Teach them to go to a store clerk or security guard if you become separated.
BEWARE OF STRANGERS AT THE DOOR
Criminals sometimes pose as couriers delivering gifts. And it is not uncommon for people to try to take advantage of others’ generosity during the holidays by going door-to-door for charitable donations when there is no “real” charity involved. Therefore, it is suggested that you ask for identification and find out how the funds will be used. If you are not satisfied or suspicious in any way – do not give. Ask the delivery person NOT to leave packages at your front door.
TAKE A HOLIDAY INVENTORY
The holidays are a good time to update – or create your home inventory. Take photos or make videos of items, and list descriptions and serial numbers. Should your home ever be burglarized, having a detailed inventory can help identify stolen items and make insurance claims easier to file. Make sure things like televisions, all electronic equipment, phones, Ipads, cameras, sports equipment, jewelry, computers, home office equipment, and power tools are on that list.
Should you have any questions regarding these safety tips or if we may be of any assistance to you during this busy holiday season, please do not hesitate to call the office.
PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE IF YOU SHOULD SEE ANYTHING SUSPICIOUS DURING OFFICE HOURS.
CALL THE POLICE IF YOU SEE ANYTHING AFTER OFFICE HOURS.
THANK YOU FOR CALLING LEGACY AT MERIDIAN YOUR HOME!